Questions & Answers

Question: How do I obtain a copy of my DD-214 and other Military records?


To request a copy of a DD-214, please note:DD-214s (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) are now available online. The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) provides the following link for veterans and the next of kin of deceased former military members to gain access to their DD-214s online: or use According to the NPRC, other individuals with a need for documents must still complete the Standard Form 180, which can be downloaded from the online website. The new web-based application was designed to provide better service by eliminating the records centers mailroom and processing time. Please read all directions thoroughly. You may also request Personnell Records, Replacement Medals, and/or prior Active Duty Medical Records with the same form. ( Please contact the Veterans Administration at (800)827-1000 for additional help or you may contact your local Veterans Service Office for assistance. Remember, always take your DD-214 to your local recorders office and have it put on file. This will make it easier to obtain a certified copy in the future. Recorder’s offices are generally located in your local courthouse.