The Organizational Meeting of the Wheelersburg Local School District Board of Education was held prior to the January 14, 2016 regular Board meeting.
Matthew Miller was elected president and Scott Jolly was elected vice-president.
Ben Gill was elected OSBA Legislative Liaison for 2016.
Jonathan Eaton was elected OSBA Student Achievement Liaison for 2016.
The Board adopted the Tax Budget for Fiscal Year 2017.
The Board set the regular meeting dates for 2016 as the fourth Monday of each month at 6:00 PM.
The Board approved standing authorizations as submitted.
The following business was conducted at the regular meeting following the Organizational Board Meeting.
In observance of January being School Board Member Recognition Month, Mark Knapp, Superintendent, presented Board Members certificates of appreciation from the Ohio School Boards Association.
Special Recognition was given to the following:
* Wheelersburg Middle School Spelling Bee winners
6th – 8th Grade Winner – Rohit Kataria
6th – 8th Grade Runner-up – Serena Kataria
4th – 5th Grade Winner – Paisley French
4th – 5th Grade Runner-up – Jaylyn Pham
* Wheelersburg Middle School Science Fair winners
Grand Champion – Rohit Kataria
7th – 8th Grade 1st Place – Aidan Wright
2nd Place – Eric Green
3rd Place – Aaron Jolly
4th Place – Justin Janney
5th Place – Billy Bagnall
Honorable Mention – Sam Hawk
Honorable Mention – Mina Bussa
6th Grade 1st Place – Serena Kataria
2nd Place – Rachel Davenport
3rd Place – Ava Dixon
4th Place – Trey Walton
5th Place – Hannah Arthur
5th Grade 1st Place – Alexis Gilliland
2nd Place – Beau Castaneda
3rd Place – Emily Janney
4th Place – Drew Willis
5th Place – Kyra Warren
* Mitchell McFarland, Golf, SOC II Player of the Year
* WHS Girls’ Tennis Team, SOC Co-Champions
* WHS Girls’ Soccer Team, SOC Champions
Morgan Willoughby, Girls’ Soccer, SOC Player of the Year, 2nd Team All-Ohio
Todd Jarvis, Girls’ Soccer, SOC Coach of the Year
* WHS Boys’ Soccer Team, SOC II Champions
Ethan McCain, Boys’ Soccer, SOC II Player of the Year, District Player of the Year, 1st Team All-Ohio, National All Great Lakes Region Team
* WHS Volleyball Team, SOC II Champions
Marley Hanzel, Volleyball, SOC II Player of the Year, District Player of the Year, 2nd Team All-Ohio
* WHS Football Team, SOC II Champions, Regional Champions
Kyle Davis, Football, SOC II Back of the Year, SEO Division V Offensive Player of the Year, 1st Team All-Ohio Quarterback
Sam Hall, Football, SOC II Lineman of the Year, 1st Team All-Ohio Lineman
Jordan Howard, Football, 2nd Team All-Ohio Offensive Back
Jake Darnell, Football, Special Mention All-Ohio Offense
Daylor Lewis, Football, Special Mention All-Ohio Special Teams
Xander Carmichael, Football, Special Mention All-Ohio Defense
Approval of minutes of the November 23, 2015 Regular Board Meeting was followed by the treasurer’s recommendations:
* Approval of the November 2015 and December 2015 Financial Reports
* Accepted donations from the Wheelersburg Athletic Association, Southern Ohio Medical Center, Chad Thompson, Kroger Community Rewards, It’s In the Bag, WHS Band Boosters, Grace Gospel Church, Wal-Mart, Wheelersburg Baptist Church
Superintendent’s recommendations included the following:
* Employment of substitute teachers
* Adjustment of salary of certified employee
* Employment of substitute support staff
* Acceptance of resignation for the purpose of retirement
* Approval of OEPI Membership
* Approval of Volunteers
* Employment of Home Instruction teacher
* Approval of two resolutions
Old Business of the Board:
* Second reading and adoption of the following Board Policies:
EEA, Student Transportation Services
EEAC, School Bus Safety Program
EEACC, Student Conduct on District Managed Transportation
EEACCA, Recording Devices on Transportation Vehicles
EEACC-R, Student Conduct on District Managed Transportation
EEACD, Drug Testing for District Personnel Required to Hold a Commercial Driver’s License
EEACE, School Bus Idling
EEAD, Non-Routine Use of School Buses
EEAE, Student Transportation in Private Vehicles
JEA, Compulsory Attendance Ages
JECAA-R, Admission of Homeless Students
New Business of the Board:
* First reading of the following Board Policy:
GCBC-R, Professional Staff Fringe Benefits
The next Board of Education meeting will be held February 22, 2016 at 6:00 PM at the Board Office on Center Street.