The 2013 season for visitation at the Aaron and Mary Kinney Homestead at 1926 Waller Street, Portsmouth has begun.
Three generations of the Kinney Family occupied this home and a member of the family lived here until 1946.
The first land was purchased by way of the family of Mary in the late 1700’s. Her father, Captain John Clingman was a Revolutionary war soldier. Aaron early added acres until the farm was near 800 acres.
The house has has three additions, one in 1812, a lean-to in 1823 and lastly the front porch with pillars in 1913. This last addition changed the front of the house from facing Kinney’s Lane to Waller.
The house, which is a small museum, features many interesting items. One is as early as the 17th century. All other items date to 1946, the year Isabel Kinney died.
The keepers of the 1810 House are all volunteers. The volunteers keep the house clean, decorated and repaired.
They also are the docents, who conduct the tours for visitors.
Any persons interested in local history, and who would like to become a volunteer, would be welcome.
The 1810 House is open on Sundays from 2 to 4 p.m. or by appointment by calling the Scioto County Welcome Center at 353-1116.