Rita Haider, director of the Center for International Programs and Activities (CIPA) at Shawnee State University received the James P. Chapman Distinguished Service Award at a luncheon on April 23.
The award honors a SSU employee who has significantly contributed to the advancement of women at Shawnee State by:
· Increasing awareness of gender related issues affecting the status of women within academia and the workplace;
· Serving as an impetus for concrete actions that will result in increasing opportunities for career advancement, academic accomplishment, enriching experiences, and professional development for the women of SSU;
· Encouraging the establishment of academic programs that provide the opportunity for concentrated study of women’s issues;
· Offering programming which will increase the level of self-esteem and personal expectations of all women; and,
· Creating an atmosphere in which women are valued, treated with respect, and afforded the same opportunities available to others within the university community.
“Rita exemplifies the most hardworking woman in leadership on this campus,” said Professor Xiaodan Huang in her nomination letter. “Her tireless efforts to help raise awareness of gender-related issues and create opportunities for gender equality have made her a deserving recipient of this honor.”