Ryan Scott Ottney
PDT Staff Writer
The seventh annual Steven A. Hunter Hope Fund was held Sept. 5-7, at the Steven A. Hunter Tennis Center at Portsmouth’s Clark Athletic Complex, and at the Dr. William E. Daehler Tennis Center at Shawnee State University where 28 teams competed in eight different events.
This year’s tournament raised more than $18,000 to be used to provide weekend meals for hundreds of hungry local school children. It is estimated that more than 1-in-3 children in Scioto County are food insecure. The tournament proceeds currently provide one-third of the total budget required for Steven’s Power Pack Club and is the program’s largest fundraiser of the year.
This year’s winners and runners up were:
- Mens 4.0: Winners: Bob Dever and Jon Lucas; Runners Up: John Khoury and Nick Nelson,
- Mens 3.5: Winners: Felix Diaz and Kevin Clausing; Runners Up: Tim Stewart and Don Moritz,
- Mens 3.0: Winners: Rick Porter and Roy Smith; Runners Up: Tyler Evans and Seth Weber,
- Mens 2.5: Winners: Greg Taylor and Greg Conley; Runners Up: Eric Hicks and Joe Albecht,
- Mixed: Winners: Tyler Mains and Michelle Mains; Runners Up: Wes Lyon and Sandy Gampp,
- Womens 3.5: Winners: Jennifer Johnson and Judy Bayes; Runners Up: Pat Moore and Susie Booth,
- Womens 3.0: Winners: Jill Davis and Kathy Davis; Runners Up: Karley Stites and Contessa Brown; and,
- Womens 2.5: Winners: Amy Collier and Darla O’Brien; Runners Up: Abbi Morrow and Aubrey Johnson.
Steven’s Power Pack Club currently operates in nine local school districts, including Portsmouth Elementary, East Portsmouth Elementary, New Boston Oak and Stanton, Northwest Elementary, Valley Elementary, and West Elementary, Green Elementary, Clay Elementary, Bloom-Vernon Elementary, and Minford Elementary providing food to almost 500 children every weekend during the school year.
Tournament organizers said they are looking forward and anticipating an even larger event next year. For more information about the Steven A. Hunter Hope Fund and Steven’s Power Pack Club, find them online at www.stevenshopefund.org.
Ryan Scott Ottney can be reached at 740-353-3101, ext. 287, or firstname.lastname@example.org. For breaking news, follow Ryan on Twitter @PDTwriter.