Local completes 100 mile trek

By Wayne Allen

October 3, 2013

Wayne Allen

Common Staff Writer

This past weekend Tony Carr of West Portsmouth walked 100 miles to Columbus, Ohio

in support of Angie Arnett. Arnett has been diagnosed with liver and lung cancer.

When asked what his motivation for the journey was Carr said, “my motivation to do this was, a classmate of mine Angie Arnett. She is a really good girl, she’s never done drugs and she always been an inspiration to a lot of people. She’s always helped others out and has never asked for anything in return. Her and her husband, did not ask me to do this, these are just the type of people I would go out of my way to help.”

His journey started on Friday, Sept. 13 at around 7:15 a.m. “I went 17 miles (that day) and stopped for the night in Piketon. I got up really early the next morning (Saturday, Sept. 14 around 4 a.m. and took off, I made it to Circleville by 5:30 p.m. that evening. I started (Sunday morning) around 4 a.m. and made it to The Ohio State University by 5:30 p.m.,” Carr said. “For a journey of 100.9 miles.”

Carr said along the way he was keeping friends, family and supporters updated through Facebook. Carr said the best and the saddest part of his journey came from someone who had read one of his statuses.

“Everyone was sharing my statues on Facebook and as a result a family from Wheelersburg decided they wanted to meet me. At that point I was around Piketon and they saw me walking on the side of the road,” Carr said. “Before they left a little boy handed me a little blue smurf, and said ‘carry this with you and it will keep you safe the whole way.’ His mom then informed me he (the little child) had cancer. When they pulled off I sat on the guardrail and cried for about a half an hour,” Carr said.

He said each picture that was taken of him along the remainder of the journey he held up that smurf.

Carr said his motivation stayed strong throughout the journey but when he arrived at Scioto Downs, “my knee was killing me, my feet were swollen and I had Band Aids on every one of my toes.”

He said it was around that time his sister, Lisa Copas and Mitchell Reedy, joined up with him and helped him complete the journey.

When asked if he felt a since of accomplishment after this journey was complete, Carr said,” that was the most emotional walk I have ever had in my life. I laughed, I cried and when I got to The Ohio State University and got my picture taken in front of their sign, all I could do was cry.”

When asked if given the opportunity, would he do this all over again, Carr said, “I would do this all over again.”

Wayne Allen may be reached at 740-353-1151, or For breaking news, follow Wayne on Twitter @WayneallenPDT.